Chazhikattu hospital was started by Dr C K Stephen in 1933. It began as a small clinic in the heart of Thodupuzha town and was the only health care facility in the surrounding area at that time. From these humble beginnings the hospital has grown by leaps and bounds.
Following the death of Dr. C. K. Stephen, Dr. C. S. Stephen took over the reins of the hospital. The clinic continued to flourish under Dr. C. S. Stephen, a reputed physician. He was soon joined by his brother Dr. Joseph Stephen, a talented surgeon. The duo helped to build the hospital over the next five decades with focus on efficient, reliable and personalised health care.